Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 8 - Antwerp

Because of our inability to get to Paris, we decided that we'd head for Antwerp.  Another cool Belgium city that we had past through when went to Amsterdam.

We didn't get started very early.  We slept in past 8am again (ok, I've determined it's my new super power).  I either adjusted to the time change in a weird way, or staying up and sleeping in is my new thing!

We attempted to grab "breakfast", which isn't omelettes (according to these people).   You see breakfast is just pastries and waffles and basically sugar.  When you start making bacon and eggs and things like that, you have melded into lunch (I guess)...We found a place that would get Nancy an omelette (which proved to be just in time, if you know what I mean)

After a nice breakfast at the Grand Place, we headed for the subway and train station.  We are pros now, so each trip is less stressful on Nancy (she needs information!).  Sometimes the trains switch without notice and they tell you to get off and grab something else.  It used to freak us out, but not now!

It was a VERY warm day (by European standards), at 80 + degrees.  The train did not have A/C, so it was quite toasty.  I don't think we'll have the same viewpoint when we return..

Antwerp was only 50 minute away, so we thought we could just go for short jaunt.  The main attraction was the catherdrals and shopping (of course!).  We toured a beautiful cathedral (De Katherdral), funny eh?  It had lots of dead people (buried in the crypts in the floor).  VERY quiet and a little creepy.  It dated back to the 1400's!

Another nice day......

Random Thoughts:

1) Service people are slow here
2) Tipping 10% is considered great (maybe related to number 1)
3) Trains are not always air conditioned
4) 80 is HOT in Belgium
5) Graffiti is better in Europe
6) I think I've been to enough churches to make up for the last 10 years.
7) Even though their roads are bricks, they still have road construction!

Pictures to follow......

https://picasaweb.google.com/112902688959282032432/Day8Antwerp?authkey=Gv1sRgCIWp65fBk_PS9gE&feat=directlink

No comments: